Black Opal Stakes bigger than ever!
• Seppelt are the new sponsor for the Black Opal Stakes and the sponsorship proposal includes a range of Treasury Wine Estates wines available on course including Salinger, Wolf Blass, Matua, Saltram, Juliet, Cape Shank, Devils Lair and Wynns.
• There are four listed races on the program. Prize money for the 2014 Seppelt Black Opal Stakes has been increased to $275,000 up from $250,000
• Prize money for both the Mercedes Benz Canberra National Sprint and the Canberra Guineas sponsored by the company Group One have risen to $120,000 up from $100,000.
• Prize money for the ACTTAB Canberra Cup remains at $200,000
• Total prize money $831,000
• The famous race horse and Melbourne Cup winner Subzero will make a special appearance on course on the day
• Entertainment includes free children’s entertainment, the band B B Gees, and roving entertainment,
• The Red Bull DJ Truck will provide entertainment in the Catbird Lane Marquee area
• AFL team GWS Giants with host Kevin Sheedy have a marquee with tickets available to the public. Kevin Sheedy was a part owner of Bel Esprit a Blue Diamond Stakes winner and the sire of Black Caviar
• One of Australia’s leading race callers Alan Thomas will MC the Chairman’s Luncheon
• In 1993 Journalist John Hourigan published the book “The Black Opal 1973-1992 – The first 20 years”. John has written a book “The Next 20 years covering the Black Opal Stakes to from 1993 to 2013”. The book will be released in March 2014 and will be available for sale .
• For the first time the Canberra Racing Club on behalf of the Australian Racing Board will host the
Australian Racing Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Dinner on Sunday night 9 March the night of Seppelt Black Opal Stakes day. The dinner will be held at the National Gallery of Australia individual tickets are $175 a table of ten is $1,500, tickets through ticketek
• Legendary horse breeder and inducted member of the Australian Hall of Fame Sir Patrick Hogan of Cambridge Stud New Zealand will attend the race meeting and Chairman’s Lunch and of course the Hall of Fame Dinner
• The Crown Plaza are providing a special rate of $155 per room for the Black Opal Stakes and Hall of Fame dinner – Call Crown Plaza on 02 - 62745519 Reference Hall of Fame Dinner, or book on line www.thoroughbredpark.com.au click on Hall of Fame/Accommodation
• Shared and Private Marquees are available call 02 62040000 bookings close on 24 February
• Inaugural winner of the Inglis Equine Art competition Kristin Hardiman will paint a portrait of the 2014 Myer Face of Canberra Racing on course and have a gallery showing through the day. A $2500 Kristin Hardiman print can be won through the race book barrel draw.
• The Myer Fashions on the field competition is the highest prize pool offered on Black Opal Stakes day and includes cash and prizes to all 4 categories, Classic Ladies Racewear, Classic Mens Racewear, Classic Couples Racewear and Millinery award. Over $40,000 in cash and prizes to be won.
• The Myer Face of Canberra Racing Model search winner will be announced on Preview Day, Sunday 23 February 2014. The winner will win over $15,000 in cash and prizes and will assist with judging of fashions on the field on Black Opal Stakes day.